Thursday, January 31, 2013

Why I Stopped Pulling Out my Gray Hair

I'm not really sure, to tell you the truth.

I've been pulling them out since the first time I noticed having them. I was 20 then. So it's been 11 years.

Here's the thing: I don't really even have that many gray hairs, at this point. Which is why pulling them out seemed like the simplest mechanism for getting rid of them. I don't want to have them visible, but I don't want to dye my hair yet. And there is something kind of fun and satisfying about the yank. So long, sucker!

But, all this time, in the back of my mind, I'm doing this and knowing that it is an unsustainable solution to a growing, literally growing, problem. Because they grow back. And they grow in numbers. And eventually, if I keep doing this, I'm going to be plucking out my entire head of hair, and that's obviously not the intended result.

And when I see gray hairs on other people, I find it sexy, in a way, that they wear them. Because they're not trying to defy themselves.

My New Year's resolution was to do a daily meditation practice, which has been mostly a failure.

For some reason, starting with New Year's Day, I stopped pulling out my gray hairs. I didn't articulate this in any way. It wasn't my official resolution. I just did it. It's been a month now. You can see them growing out of my head no matter how I comb my hair. They're an inch long, at least.

I don't really care.

I was going to have to stop pulling them out eventually, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment